The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requires that all workers at a reasonable risk of workplace exposure to hazards mustt undertake suitable training.
An OSHA 10 Certificate is typically awarded after the training, as proof and acknowledgement of completion of this in depth safety training program. You can see the reference guide to the OSHA CFR 1910. Workplace Safety standards here for more information.
If you need OSHA 10 certification, you will find that there are two main ways of getting one –a traditional face-to-face class or OSHA 10 training online. The question then arises, which is the best way for you to complete your certification? Let’s take a look at them both and help you to decide.
The benfits of classroom training
There are many notable benefits to classroom training, many of which we may have experienced in school. There are quite a few that will apply to OSHA ten training also, and we have compiled a list of these benefits below.
- Questions – The ability to question what you are learning may help some people cement the topic in their mind.
- Instructor – An instructor can make-or-break a course. If you have a good instructor you may find, that with their help, the course is much easier.
- Attention to Needs – Some people need a little extra help with their learning and in-person classes can help instructors to identify those needs and help with them.
- Adaptability – In the same spirit as the last point, instructors have the ability to adapt the class to follow the lead of their students.
- Discussion with Students – Sometimes, you just need to talk with your peers and fellow students to understand something more clearly. Classroom training provides ample opportunities to do so.
weaknesses of Classroom Training
Although classroom training has notable benefits, it has considerable weaknesses too – as seen below.
- Expensive – Unlike online courses, with classrooms your payment needs to cover an instructor’s salary, venue, equipment and much more. The price difference is sizeable.
- Travel – As you don’t have a choice in the venue, it may very well mean that you need to travel far to reach your class. Travel is a sure-fire way to increase the time and money a course can take.
- Harder to schedule – Classroom training is becoming rarer as online training booms, therefore you may not find a course as quickly or conveniently as you’d like.
- Time Consuming – After considering travel and wait times and time that you may lose due to issues with other students or the instructor, classroom training tends to eat up a chunk of your day.
- No Flexibility – As class-times are typically preordained, you have to fit your schedule around your class instead of it being the other way around.
- May currently not be possible due to pandemic measures.
The benefits of Online OSHA 10 Hour training
Many people are becoming aware of the strengths and effectiveness of eLearning. Many colleges, schools and other training providers courses are increasing their number of online courses every day. There are many options to obtain an OSHA online certificate.
- Cheap – Online training is always cheaper. It also does not require any travel costs.
- Ability to Train Anywhere – If you’re getting an OSHA ten certificate, chances are you’re employed. Sometimes, work or other commitments can force you to travel out of state or away from home. This is where the ability to train anywhere helps best.
- Comfort – Adding onto the last point, you can train from the comfort of your own home. Many people find this increases effectiveness and focus.
- Updated Content – Seeing as how online courses don’t require textbooks or apparatus, the learning material can be changed whenever needed. This ensures an up-to-date learning experience.
- More Control – eLearning can give you more control over your pace and style. Many people find they can learn quickly if they go at their own pace and also increase their effective learning at the same time.
- Less Time Consuming – Being able to go online at any time and start learning straight away is much less time consuming than planning your day around traveling to a course venue.
- Instant Certification – Completing your training online has the added benefit of gaining instant access to your certificate.
weaknesses of online Training
Despite multiple benefits of online training, it does also come with its weaknesses.
- No Instructor – Due to the fact that there is no instructor, you may have fewer options to resort to for when you need clarification.
- Requires Self-Discipline – Some people aren’t good at individual work as they may have a habit of procrastination A classroom environment may help overcome that.
- Isolation – As you may do the training online course alone, there is little opportunity to connect with other learners at the same time.
- No competition – Competition is a common factor in classroom stimulation. Learning online may remove this factor and will lead to you having to rely on self-determination instead.
- Less Personalization – Some learners require a tailored type of course, and although there are many different ways to learn online – it cannot provide the intimate personalisation that a good teacher is able to.
OSHA 10 Class VS OSHA 10 Hour Online: Summary
Looking at all the information we’ve now got to consider an OSHA ten class VS OSHA ten online training, it’s only fair to conclude that OSHA 10 certification course would be better taken online.
Its cheapness, convenience and ease of use makes earning your OSHA certificate seem easy. The fact that it takes less time is great; couple that with its ability to be taken at anytime, anywhere and you’ve got yourself a winner.
Most of the weaknesses of an online course can be overcome by motivation and determination to finish, whereas classroom training would require you to commit more time and money for the same result.